Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Cherrokee Purple Tomatoes - Update and summary

At this point in time I have harvested about 5 lbs of tomatoes or roughly 20 tomatoes.

Their flavor is everything that has been reported; amazing! You don't need to add anything to them to make them taste better, in fact it is my opinion that it ruins perfection.

I have just trimmed back the two plants that have produced all of the tomatoes I have harvested to this date. I did this because they didn't have any set fruit on the putter branches and so the plants stay a manageble size.

Next year I am planning to raise them using a string mesh that the plant can be "woven into" and with much more room for each plant, these guys like to grow big! So big that only two plants should really be where I planted three, so using double the normal spacing would be ideal, I hope. Either that or have some REALLY tall plant stakes.

Part of the big plant problem is more than likely the usual culprit of too much nitrogen, but it is easier to plan for huge plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment