Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Black eye peas summary

It seems that production is starting to wane a bit, so I figure its time to review my experience.

07-15-13 Black Eye pea seeds procured from a grocery store bag were planted. The seeds were planted 3 per hole, each hole 4 inches apart, 1/2 inch deep in a 9 foot planting row.

09-07-13 started picking and to this day have picked a total of 4 cups. There are still pods to be picked.

The plants themselves grew into aproximately 4 foot long vines.

Initially there was a problem with a black aphid like bug. The plants were treated with soap water, pyrthum, and finally had success in riding the infestation by using sevin dust combined with manual removal.

I will more than likely plant black eye peas again. Next time a trellis will be ready if an unknown seed is used.

2 comments:

  1. I do so love my blackeye peas, but especially fresh. Hey, when you gonna click my follower button....have a good night my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had already put that up ...

    ReplyDelete